Changing display manager can render system unbootable

DoneSubmitted by Marius Bakke.
Details
4 participants
  • Andreas Enge
  • Ludovic Courtès
  • Marius Bakke
  • ng0
Owner
unassigned
Severity
serious
M
M
Marius Bakke wrote on 17 Jul 2017 12:09
(address . bug-guix@gnu.org)
874lub74st.fsf@fastmail.com
Hello!

When changing display manager in the system configuration and invoking
`guix system reconfigure`, the existing desktop environment will be
killed. If you invoked the command from within said desktop environment,
the reconfigure command will be forcefully terminated.

If you're unlucky, this might happen during `grub-install`. After
logging in on a console and rebooting, this is what I got:

Toggle snippet (10 lines)
Welcome to GRUB!

Attempting to decrypt master key...
Enter passphrase for hd1,gpt2 (<uuid>):
Slot 0 opened
error: file `/boot/grub/x86_64-efi/normal.mod' not found.
Entering rescue mode...
grub rescue>

It can be recovered by booting by copying /boot/grub/x86_64-efi/* from a
healthy system to the partially installed one.

I'm not sure how to mitigate this, since the DE restart is arguably a
feature. A command analogous to `nixos-rebuild boot` might be of aid for
those of us aware of this problem.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQEzBAEBCgAdFiEEu7At3yzq9qgNHeZDoqBt8qM6VPoFAllsjPIACgkQoqBt8qM6
VPrmFwgA1T481t5+pT5Q9+KWPtb2TQocpxZuJPx7fCxaRNd3HfVyh/R/kJHnAtRA
HlmPQCEJ7ykUq5ehbM4nivQjyZ/NlDqFb0j0uP5I0cFpHB4DggMAD4XS6ti1fRHf
lHa+7R3ewF7vtosh2GdjHHLo1IQM0lOQMAusFJ15C92Bl3yBdRk/1HOwIp7IuoS1
YeSfTWXo7FEP3tUBDj7KK6wvS9lsyCDQPlfrMIBvNqWytZ1Oa06nEJ9Eck3ZquJh
gC9c5+wDnHKRt5up6dqy5ZdTVj77ibcwAa1rMtyzpNQEmR+YOnjgcPvOFLnkiQ4Z
oHl0GU5GeHuPOi+QqIKB2u/eNpdM2Q==
=s1zA
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

N
(name . Marius Bakke)(address . mbakke@fastmail.com)(address . 27732@debbugs.gnu.org)
20170717114749.em7n4v3llamy4vam@abyayala
Marius Bakke transcribed 1.6K bytes:
Toggle quote (28 lines)
> Hello!
>
> When changing display manager in the system configuration and invoking
> `guix system reconfigure`, the existing desktop environment will be
> killed. If you invoked the command from within said desktop environment,
> the reconfigure command will be forcefully terminated.
>
> If you're unlucky, this might happen during `grub-install`. After
> logging in on a console and rebooting, this is what I got:
>
> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> Welcome to GRUB!
>
> Attempting to decrypt master key...
> Enter passphrase for hd1,gpt2 (<uuid>):
> Slot 0 opened
> error: file `/boot/grub/x86_64-efi/normal.mod' not found.
> Entering rescue mode...
> grub rescue>
> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>
> It can be recovered by booting by copying /boot/grub/x86_64-efi/* from a
> healthy system to the partially installed one.
>
> I'm not sure how to mitigate this, since the DE restart is arguably a
> feature. A command analogous to `nixos-rebuild boot` might be of aid for
> those of us aware of this problem.

This is weird. I was aware of this and simply waited a reasonable long
time until I forced a reboot from such a system. I've done this
countless times in the past and it always worked.

But the situation is unfortunate and a fix would be good.

--
ng0
GnuPG: A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
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=qZzM
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


L
L
Ludovic Courtès wrote on 18 Jul 2017 15:50
(name . Marius Bakke)(address . mbakke@fastmail.com)(address . 27732@debbugs.gnu.org)
87a841yhv4.fsf@gnu.org
Hello,

Marius Bakke <mbakke@fastmail.com> skribis:

Toggle quote (5 lines)
> When changing display manager in the system configuration and invoking
> `guix system reconfigure`, the existing desktop environment will be
> killed. If you invoked the command from within said desktop environment,
> the reconfigure command will be forcefully terminated.

Why is the desktop environment killed?

From Guix’s viewpoint, the ‘xorg-server’ Shepherd service cannot be
restarted if it’s still running (and indeed, when I run ‘guix system
reconfigure’ from my X11 + Ratpoison setup, Xorg is not killed,
fortunately.) Same for ‘dbus-system’ etc.

I don’t know what else could be killing GNOME et al.

Thanks,
Ludo’.
L
L
Ludovic Courtès wrote on 18 Jul 2017 15:50
control message for bug #27732
(address . control@debbugs.gnu.org)
878tjlyhus.fsf@gnu.org
severity 27732 serious
L
L
Ludovic Courtès wrote on 27 Jul 2017 12:10
(address . control@debbugs.gnu.org)
87pocm5gxu.fsf@gnu.org
tags 27732 moreinfo
A
A
Andreas Enge wrote on 31 Jan 2019 15:54
Close
(address . control@debbugs.gnu.org)
20190131145403.GA25735@jurong
tags 27732 unreproducible
close 27732
thanks
?
Your comment

This issue is archived.

To comment on this conversation send email to 27732@debbugs.gnu.org